Posted by: M | 2009-03-06

Not Sure whats wrong?

I must say that i appreciate all the valuable inforamtion that you provide on this forum.

Doc please can u provide me with info on this problem that i am experiencing.
I am going to my GP tommorow.From that last weekend i have been bleeding alot when i go to the loo.In the begginning i was constipated so i thought its not serious but now theres is so much bleeding it scares me.Before i go to the loo its alot of cramps.I feel bloated alot.I have been suffering from constipation alot during the last year and my doctor says its because of stress.I have started eating very healthy and exercise.But during the last 2wks i haven' t been exercing.My diet consists of All bran,Low Gi Bread and brown rice and fruits and veg and tuna.I try to keep it balanced .I also take Fibre Gel often so i do include Fibre.My Doctor also suggested a spastic colon problem last year whwn i suffered from constipation

Is there anything i am doing wrong Doc?I will be delighted if you can shed some light.

Take Care

Dear M
Thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate them. You may be suffering from piles or haemorrhoids, which can bleed quite badly if you have to strain when passing stools. The doctor is perfectly correct that you need to increase your dietary fibre intake (as you are doing) and to reduce stress. Both these approaches not only help with constipation, but should also counteract spastic colon or irritable bowel disease (IBS) of the constipation variety, which you may well suffer from. The dr will prescribe treatment for the bleeding piles and may also give you medication for the bloating. I would also recommend that you try taking probiotics or 'good' microorganisms such as Intestiflora or LP299V (which has been specifically formulated for IBS) to help your colon to cope. click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read Articles 123 and 124 about healthy colon practices and what to eat to keep your colon healthy. Finally, if you are eating a very-low-fat diet, then in some cases it helps to take 1 tablespoon of oil (e.g. olive oil or canola oil which you can use on salads) or use tuna canned in oil instead of in brine.
I hope that you will soon have this situation well under control as the bleeding can be scary.