Question
Posted by: lolo | 2011/08/15

Not sure what to do with 7 year old daughter

My 7 year old daughter is really concerning me and i dont know where to take her for help. I used to think that she is hyperactive but her teacher says she has a concentration problem and as a result it affects her school performance. The other thing i have noticed about her is that she likes to be praised if not she become disillusioned. She is also very jealous, she does not want to hear that any kid has done better - she wants everything to be about her.

My other major concern about her is her speech and her reasoning, for a 7 year old, it''s not satisfactory.

Please advise me on where i can send her for help, this is really depressing me though i try as much as i can to assist her.

Some children may develop concentration problems, for a variety of different reasons, and these may then in turn interfere with their learning. and not always psychological problems - sometimes a kid who is developing short-sightedness can't see the blackboard, etc., and may seem to be having learning problems, which can be cured by getting glasses.
Unless she excessively needs praise ( in which case it may be worthwhile having her assessed ) praising her for any genuinely good behaviours is worth doing. But jealousy and self-centredness may be unhelpful in the long term.
It sounds overall as though you are distinctly worried, perhaps with good reason, perhaps not - but let her see a child psychologist for a prper assessment, and see if the shrink picks up anything worth worrying about ( and can then advise on hos to put it right ) or if the shrink can then otherwise re-assure you

1