Question
Posted by: Robyn | 2008/10/29

not sure what to do

hi....im 24 years old and seem to be just gaining and gaining!! i wont say im very fit but i am rather, i work in a gym and i jog in the evening but i keep gaining. my eating habits havent changed and i eat very small portions but i keep gaining.

i was useing a weight loss product and doing very well not cheating or anything but seemed to keep gaining i have gained almost 15kg in 2 months thats crazy!!

i was alwas suffering with the worst of headachs everyday from the time i woke up till the time i went to bed so the doctors stoped me eating sugar,bread, rice,and no gasy drinks. so i thought well this should also help with my weightloss so i did that and the weightloss produt but still continued to gain weight.

about a month ago i had to have my appendix removed and since then i dont have the headachs but my weight is not comming down i was told that it would.

my stomach is extreamly swollen and tender and im starting to feel very uncomfortable. im also starting to loose hope that my weight will ever come down and scared i start to just let myself go.

please could you advise me on what im doing wrong?

take care

Dear Robyn
I must say that it is rather strange that you just keep gaining weight. I would recommend that you consult an Endocrinologist (a dr who specialises in hormone like the thyroid, insulin, etc - ask your gp to refer you) so that you can find out why you are gaining weight all the time despite doing exercise and cutting out carbs (this is actually not a good idea, as it is better to cut down on fats instead, but you will have reduced your energy intake). It is possible that you suffer from insulin resistance or poly cystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) which will require treatment with medications and a change in diet. For the latter please consult a clinical dietitian is you should have insulin resistance or PCOS. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. Keep up the exercise as this will at least keep you fit and help to lower blood sugar and insulin levels if you should have insulin resistance.
Holding thumbs that you find out what is causing this pronounced weight gain.

1
Posted by: Y | 2008/10/29

Hi Robyn,

I went through almost exactly the same experience of excessive weight gain (25 Kgs in 4 months) a few years ago - when I was 25 yrs old. Finally got diagnosed with Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome and Insulin Resistance.

I would recommend that you go see a gynaecologist (who specialises in treating women with PCOS), or a endocrinologist (since this is a hormonal imbalance problem). Unfortunately GPs don' t seem to understand insulin resistance and PCOS (the two diseases often go hand-in-hand in women) very well and are reluctant to prescribe very necessary medication such as Metformin (also known as Glucophage).

It was the Metformin that finally stopped the weight gain for me. Dieting is still necessary to loose weight however. But if you have PCOS - it is very difficult to loose weight - except with low carb / high fat dieting. (Note - not high protein, but high fat).

If you can' t go to a specialist directly, go to your GP and ask him/her to test your fasting glucose and fasting insulin levels. If the results come back combined with terms such as " Insulin resistance"  or " glucose intolerance" , then ask your GP to refer you to a specialist (as mentioned above) unless the GP him/herself are enlightened enough to treat you with Metformin/Glucophage. (P.S. Metformin/Glucophage are usually prescribed for diabetes type 2).

Reply to Y