Question
Posted by: Kacey | 2011/11/25

Not sure if its normal

I think I have a bit of a problem, maybe a big one. Since I was a teen I would sort of " live in my head"  alot. What I mean by that is that I would day dream alot about just being somebody else somewhere else. Its kind of like my coping mechanisim and for some reason is comforting to me especially because I feel like a failure alot of the time. Over the years it has sort of been a habit that has come and gone but now I am 28 years old and it seems to have become very bad over the past year. I spend a lot of time alone in fact I will pretty much lie to not go out with friends or family and I will spend days alone at home.

Nobody really notices that there is a problem because I have always been shy and introverted so I guess they are all just use to me not being around. I also struggle to trust anybody so I have never told anyone about my day dreaming or anything. I cant even look at myself in the mirror anymore because I dont know that person. I always feel like a failure and it drives me crazy thinking about the fact that other people will see just how pathetic I am. I am afraid to know what people think or might think of me so I hide out and I go inside my head to get away from myself. I know people think I am " weird"  already beacuse I have been in a relationship in 6 years I cant bring myself to be intimate with someone because I can hear that voice in my head the whole time saying " nobody would want you or your not good enough, pretty enough, skinny enough"  !

I have tried to see a psychologist but I am too embarrassed and of course I think what would they think and I dont exactly earn alot and some of these places cost a fortune. I know some people wont see this as a problem i get it I should be able to just get over it but Ihave tried and failed (surprise) So I dont know what I can do. I dont know maybe nothing...

Daydreaming is quite common, especially when one's life is really unpleasant or disappointing. And coping methods can become habits, and bad ones if they are no longer effective or efficient. If you are currently ( inaccurately, I'm sure ) convincing yourself that you are a pathetic failure, then you are giving yourself another reason to want to escape into those dreams.
You really would benefit so much from seeing a good local psychotherapist using CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy )a proven effective method of changing such bad habits, and revising your artificially low opinion of yourself.
It is so sad to hear about how much you have been limiting and constricting your life, when, with the right sort of help, you could be confidently enjoying it.
NEVER be embarrassed to see a psychologist - all shrinks have heard just about everything, much much worse than any problem you may have, and are sympathetic and want to understand and help. Theres so much that can be done to change and improve this - just see a shrink and let it happen

1