Question
Posted by: Unsure | 2010/07/22

Not sure I am dealing with this the proper way. If there is a proper way

Yoh I have a lump in my throat.

I am photographer and have received good praise from professionals as well as all my clients I have photographed. I know that there will always be critisizm etc but this time it is different.

I once was asked by someone who say my photography to edit wedding photos someone else did. These photos were terrible so I offered. Now my photo editing is very basic but I cannot very a bad photo. Anyway this client just became beyond difficult. Not because of my work but rather in a psychot sort of way.

She only has the best to say about my work so I recently photographed her whole family. I gave her the photos once I was done. I was happy with the outcome but later she sent me a message only to say the worst thing possible. I can handle this but it has turned ugly. I even refunded her. There was nothing wrong with the photos at all. Even all her friends have only said good things. She''s not happy with the compositions etc and just about everything else. I have apoligised she does not like my style. I don''t know what more she wants from me. She''s seen my work so many times, wouldn''t this give her an idea of what to expect. This whole situation has turned out so badly. She won''t leave me alone. I have even offered to do another photo shoot. Her family is disgusted. Why would I go out of my way to take disgusting photos and give myself a bad name. She thinks there are not enough close ups of everyone. MY GOODNESS I gave her such a variety. I really take the time to compose my photographs and give it that artistic flair. She doesn''t see this. I''m so bummed about this. It''s terrible. What do I do. I''ve run out of ideas yet I was expecting this from her. I was not expecting anything good from her. Some situations are so predictable. I work really hard and I take what I do very seriously. I''m not a fly-by photographer. She''s so horrible to me. I''m not a doormat to be walked over. I told her if she does not like my photos she must not use my services. She''s seen my portfolio. Now she is pregnant and during all the disagreement she still wants me to take her maternity photos when her tummy gets bigger. How on earth does that work when she clearly hated all my photographs. What do I do?? I''m trying to handle this the right way.

There are always psycho customers who are only satisfied by being dissatisfied. If someone has seen your work previously, they knew exactly what they were buying and are unlikely to have a genuine basis for complaining. Maybe she's actually being cheapo and wanting to annoy you into giving it all to her free ? I agree with Lin here. I wonder if she's tried this game with other service porviders ?
Apparently she has no taste whatever (that's a common problem ).
Simply explain to her that while so many people like your pictures, clearly for some reason you don't understand, she doesn't. OK, perhaps its a matter of taste - but then you really think it would be most unwise for you to do any further work for her, as she is so likely to dislike it - there are many other photographers who will probably make her happier. Wish her well, but make it sure you will not accept further assignments from her.
If she continues to cause problems, get a restraining order, after making it clear that you will.

11
Posted by: Unsure | 2010/07/23

Hi Karen

Please send your e-mail. Where are you based?

Reply to Unsure
Posted by: karen | 2010/07/23

i would like to make use of your services please, could you e-mail me your contact details? thanks.

Reply to karen
Posted by: moa | 2010/07/22

a cheapskate that''s what she is!

Reply to moa
Posted by: Unsure | 2010/07/22

Thank you CS

I''ve told her clear as daylight I will refuse to offer her my services and nor must she ask me again which she already has. She must rather go find another photographer.

Don''t understand why she loves my photos and only wants to use me but then I get spat in the face like that. How ungrateful.

Sorry for her. There will be days people will be unhappy but this is beyond a joke.

Reply to Unsure
Posted by: Unsure | 2010/07/22

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Qwerty I have no idea what she is trying to do but it''s causing me a lot of distress. I''ve apologised, refunded her for actually really good photographs. AH man it''s just turned out terrible. I thought I was being professional but she just doesn''t know when to stop.

Anyway, this too shall pass.

Reply to Unsure
Posted by: qwerty | 2010/07/22

Have you considered that this might be her way to manipulate people into giving her free services? It certainly sounds that way. Just refuse to be manipulated! I agree 100 % with Lin - JUST SAY NO. Let her get her free pics elsewhere.

Reply to qwerty
Posted by: Unsure | 2010/07/22

In her eyes she thinks what''s she''s doing is fine. I can handle complaints and difficult clients. We even spoke about the photographs before I took them. To get to know their personalities etc.

Now she tells me she feels bad about getting the money back. I couldn''t care less about the money but more about my career and my good name.

Reply to Unsure
Posted by: Maria | 2010/07/22

I agree with Lin. And if all else fails, get a court order which states that she may not contact you or badmouth you.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Lin | 2010/07/22

You''re going to take the maternily photo''s. She''s going to throw another fit. You are going to refund her again. She''ll have free photos.
Don''t let her use you!
Just calmly, but clearly tell her that you won''t be able take the photos. She''ll have to find someone with a style that she prefers.

Reply to Lin
Posted by: Unsure | 2010/07/22

Sorry for all the typ-o''s. I typed really fast without thinking.

Ai the words aren''t enough to explain. Really bad.

Reply to Unsure