Posted by: dusty | 2009-07-31

not sure about this way of getting through a rough day...

I' m finding I' m using suicidal thoughts as a way of coping, is this very weird? Although I have certainly in the past been REALLY suicidal, now, whenever things get a bit overwhelming (as they frequently do) I' m getting anxious and panicky up to a point, when these thoughts kick in: " ok, it' s not really worth getting SO worked up about this and worrying and pulling my hair out from stress...because anytime things get REALLY too much, you know you can just kill yourself.." 

I' m too ashamed to talk about this with anyone I know  I' ve never heard anyone using this kind of coping mechanism!!

should I try to find another one perhaps?

Using suicidal thoughts as a way of coping ? Surely there are some better ways of coping, available ? I know the gloomy philosopher Nietzsche is alleged to have said that only the thought of suicide helped get him through the darkest nights, but there are indeed better ways, shich you should seek with the aid of a CBT counsellor. Nothing to feel ashamed of, and no competent professional would think any the less of you. And inded you do need to discuss such things frankly wih whoever is helping you. But come on, you deserve the best available treatment, which may include medication and CBT. And Maria is absolutely right --- there are much more wholseome messages to use to tide you over the bad times

Posted by: BI | 2009-07-31

This may sound oversimplistic but take one day at a time. And wake up every morning proud that you' ve ' survived'  yet another day.
The more challenges you have to get through, the stronger you become.
And frankly, in this particularly difficult time, we' re all going to end up being He-Man!
Stick it out.
If not for anything else but pure curiosity - just to see just how strong you will become. The future is full of interesting possibilities and you are part of it!

Reply to BI
Posted by: Maria | 2009-07-31

You start believing what you frequently tell yourself. I would say finding a different coping mechanism is a good idea. How about " by next week this will all be forgotten"  or " my boss won' t give me an increase for worrying" .

Reply to Maria