Question
Posted by: Anon | 2010-09-10

Not sure

I am not sure if I am consulting the wrong person but I just want to know. My 3 year old wants to do the same school work as my 6 year old. Somebody said that it is not wise since he will become bored if he starts to small. Is that so? He is very bright and I do not want to hold him back, but I do not want to push him either.

Hmm. It sounds liken the kid needs an assessment - of his needs / interests and intelligence. Some kids are indeed more intelligent than usual at their age, and get fearfully bored with the schoolwork they are offered at their formal level. He is probably only interested in his brother's school work because he is already bored with his own. Let him look at it - he may find it a bit beyond him, and frustrating ; if he finds it interesting and is still capable of it, no harm would be done. But speak to the school teacher and perhaps principal, to ask them to check whether he should be accelerated to a higher class, or whether they have or know of some special local programs for gifted children.

1