Question
Posted by: Angel Eyes | 2010/08/13

Not Ovulating

Hi There
We have been TTC for 6 months now, last month I never got a period, so I went to see my gynae and she did a blood test to check my Progesterone &  Thyriod levels- results came back- I did not Ovulate???
What does that mean? Can something be done to correct this?
Please give me some positive news

Dear Angel Eyes

The fact that you missed your period and possibly the blood test would reflect that you are not ovulating means that in this particular month an egg was not released from the ovary, this means that ovulation did not occur. If however in a subsequent month your period returns back to normal then you may have returned back to normal ovulation and may not need anything to correct this. If one has persistent anovulatory cycles then there are medications that can be given that will quite effectively achieve ovulation. The most common medication is a drug called Clomiphene Citrate, however this must be taken under a doctor’s guidance.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

3
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/08/23

Dear Angel Eyes

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: Angel Eyes | 2010/08/16

Hi LN
Sorry I forgot to mention, she did put me on Clome, for one treatment before the Blood tests.
I have been to see her again and she has continued the Treatment (Fertomid) for another 2 cycles.
She is not sure of the cause for not ovulating, no weight issues, Insulin fine?
So lets hold thumbs that this works

Reply to Angel Eyes
Posted by: LN | 2010/08/13

Dear Angel Eyes

The frontline treatment for ovulatory problems is Clomid (Serophene, Fertomid). It is quite surprising that your gynae did not prescribe it for you, as it quite a commonly presceibed medication. However, the cause of not ovulating also need to be established eg weight issues, insulin resistance, high prolactin etc as these also need to be addressed.

i hope this helps

Reply to LN