Posted by: ebony | 2009-02-09

Not Menstruating for more than 10years

i am married.

Can I be ovulating when I am not menstruating? I want to get pregnant what do I do

Dear Ebony

Under very specific conditions you may well ovulate despite not menstruating. This relates to conditions which effect the lining of the womb such as genital tuberculosis, previous vigorous D&C’s following a miscarriage or termination of pregnancy, or previous extensive uterine surgery for removal of fibroids. However the more likely situation is that you are not ovulating and it would be important to investigate the causes leading to your secondary amenorrhea. A careful hormone evaluation is necessary to determine if the ovaries are in failure and if so whether this is part of premature menopause or premature ovarian failure. A careful scan of the ovaries are also important in deciding between these two possibilities. The distinction is important since in the case of premature menopause little can be offered in terms of treatment except donor oocytes (donor eggs) whereas in the case of premature ovarian failure one could anticipate some form of remission and follicular activity at some stage and therefore conception with ones own eggs is quiet possible.

Answered by: Dr M. I. Cassim

Posted by: Dee | 2009-02-10

You need to see a gynae as to why you are not having a period. Its unlikely you are ovulating if you dont get your period.

Reply to Dee