Question
Posted by: Leila | 2012/06/26

Not losing weight

At the beginning of June I began restricting my caloric intake to 1400kcal a day and began spinning and rockclimbing 3-4 times a week. I am 177cm and 75kg. I would give myself a cheat day on friday but would not consume more then 2000kcal. After 3weeks I had actually gained weight. So I stopped exercising and restricted my calorie intake even further to between 1000 and 1200 calories a day. 10 days later I had still not lost a single gram yet I have lost 3cm arund my waist and 1 notch of my belt buckle. I desperatly want to lose 7kg in a healthy way because my BMI is so close to 25 and I am worried about being overweight. Can you advise?

Dear Leila
The probable reason why you gained weight after 3 weeks of reducing your energy intake down to 1400 kcal/day and doing intensive physical exercise, is that you developed some muscle tissue which ironically weighs more than fat tissue! So it is important to: a) Give yourself a chance to adapt to such a drastically changed routine, b) Not to judge fat loss ONLY by means of weighing - your 3 cm loss around your waist is also indicative of good progress, c) NOT to keep on reducing your energy intake as this sends a message of 'starvation' to your body which then starts to conserve energy and fat instead of using it up. So please go back to your 1400 kcal/day regimen and do your exercise and be patient. You will continue losing cm until you start losing kg too. Rome was not built in one day either.
Hang in there

1

Dear Leila
Hang in there