Question
Posted by: Confused | 2012/01/13

Not losing weight

Hi Doc,

I am 1,56m &  weigh 74kg. Since having my baby a year ago, I have lost 22kg. I am struggling to lose the last 14kg &  have been prescribed Duromine. I have been on the tablets for more than a week now &  have NOT lost any weight.

What could be the cause of this? How else can I kick start my weight loss?

Tx.

Dear Confused
Firstly, congratulations for losing those 22 kg - you are a bright, shining ***star****. 22 kg is like losing half another person! Well done!
I agree that it would be a good idea to lose those additional 14 kg, which would give you a BMI of 24,7 (i.e. back in the normal range). You don't mention how you achieved your previous weightloss - if you used a low-energy diet or what type of diet you used - and if you are doing any exercise at all to stimulate your metabolism?? Duromine is an appetite suppressant, so you need to check if it is actually reducing your appetite or not? If you have not used exercise in your weightloss programme before, I would recommend that you try doing some form of aerobic exercise (brisk walking, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, rowing, etc), to stimulate your metabolism and 'kick-start' further weightloss. If you are already doing exercise, increase how long and energetically you exercise to get your metabolism working again.
I do hope you will succeed in losing those last 14 kg, but keep in mind that losing 22 kg is a wonderful achievement.

1

Dear Confused