Question
Posted by: Lisa | 2011-10-15

Not losing weight

Hi Doc,

For the past 5 weeks I''ve started to do excercise 3 times a week cardio and 2 times a week weight training and I haven''t droped a kilo. Could you please give me advice as to why this is happening? I haven''t changed my eating but 80% of the time I eat the right foods.

Dear Lisa
There are many factors that could account for you not losing any weigh in kg despite the fact that you do cardio exercise 3 times a week and weight training twice a week. Although you mention that you 'eat the right foods 80% of the time', your total energy intake could still exceed 6300 kJ/day which is what is required to reduce weight in adult women. Then the 20% of the time that you don't eat the right foods, could be hampering weightloss. In addition the exercise you have been doing lately could result in the build-up of muscle tissue which weighs more than fat tissue. Keep a record of your vital statistics to see if you are not losing fat even if this is not reflected on the scales. Another factor could be that your weight is already in the normal range, which always makes weightloss more difficult and slower. I can't judge the latter because you don't mention your height in meters and weight in kg so that I can calculate your present BMI. You can try reducing your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet).
Keep up the good work with the exercise and combine it with the energy-reduced diet.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-10-16

Dear Lisa