Question
Posted by: Aims | 2010/08/25

Not loosing weight - tummy big

Dear Doc

In March this year I went for a hernia-repair, I was torn from under my navel up to my breast, the doc even cut away additional skin (this is due to my pregnancies). He basically did a tummy tuck. For my follow-up I was swolen and he said next time, in August, he will remove the additional fat by suction, anyway, I went in August, he felt my tummy and said it''s not fat but still my insides swelling, he also said my musscles are looking good. I''ve noticed that my tummy swells when I eat, I''m regular so I don''t know what''s the course. Is there anything I can do regarding this " big tummy" ?

Aims

Dear Aims
I am sorry to hear that you had such a serious hernia, but the advantage is that the dr has firstly repaired the hernia and secondly did a tummy tuck. If your tummy swells after eating, then you may be suffering from Irritable Bowel Disease (IBS). Two of the most important factors in IBS are a lack of dietary fibre and stress. To increase your dietary fibre intake and obtain tips about this condition, click on ‘Diet’, ‘You are what you eat’ and “Healthy GI tract’. If you suffer from flatulence and bloating, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems with a spastic colon (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, etc). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that this is a problem for you, please consult a registered dietitian who will work out a specific diet for your condition. (Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" in the middle of the main page to find a dietitian in your area). Your doctor will also be able to prescribe medicines which can relieve the flatulence such as Bevispas, so chat to your doctor about such medications.
To relieve stress, I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.

1

Dear Aims