Posted by: Kevin | 2010-08-31

Not loosing weight / 30minutes cardio

Hi FitnessDoc,

I have been to the gym for the last two years, although I have lost some 7kg from my 91kg in the two years (male, 1.8m, 29yo), it seems now I am " stuck"  at 84 for the last year.

I have found the hard way that quick diets dont work, and in my case it will never work..simplyslim, gi lean etc...

My problem is I squeeze in 30minutes of cardio 3-4x a week, and a circuit session on the weekend because I have more time to spend at the gym. How can I make the best of this 30minutes? cardio to get rid of fat? There is SO many information to do and not to do but none of them are very clear.

I have forced myself to start eating in the mornings, which sometimes are very difficult, sometimes I do skip untill 10am. Lunch and sometimes a snack at 3pm, and dinner at 6pm. The correct diet is hard to follow - what IS actually the correct diet?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Kevin

Interval training is probably the best way to get maximum effect from limited time. By this, I mean you spend the 30 minutes alternating easy and hard training. Perhaps 3 minutes at an easy level, 2 minutes harder, repeated six times, and that makes up 30 minutes. There are a lot of reasons why people hit these plateaus, but one of them is that the intensity of training doesn't increase quite enough and you don't quite drive the energy use enough to lose weight.

So it's cardio, but going hard-easy. I would do this twice a week. It would also be very helpful if you can increase this to 45 minutes, even if it's just once or twice a week, perhaps on the weekend. The more time you spend, the more energy you burn, and that's a good thing.

As for the correct diet, this is so important that I really think it's worth seeing someone about. You're right about the quick diets - there's no such thing, and it's about general principles and eating well. But you should really consider seeing a dietician and getting a plan to follow. This is often the single sticking point that prevents people from losing weight at the end.

Posted by: Lyn | 2010-09-02

Hi there I am not a expert, but I have lost 16kg also on a very tight time scedule. I found the best cardio for me was Taebo since it is high intensity and I had little time to do it. But the most important part is actually your diet. It must go hand in hand with exercise. Just make small changes like buying " fat free"  instead of " full cream" , and eat regularly since then you will not be so hungry lunch time and over eat. Plan your meals in advance then you will also know what you consume vs burn.

Reply to Lyn