Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2008/10/20

Not loosing any weight

I am a 38 old woman, and for the last 2 - 3 months I' ve picked up 10 - 15 kilos. I am eating right and exercing 4 -5 times aweek, but cannot loose the weight I' ve gained. Could the weight gaining be due to the iron injections I' ve received ± 4-5 months ago. Since I' ve been on that injcetion(currenly not on it) I' ve notice a change in by body. I went for hormonal test, test came back as normal just a slight increase in my estrogene level. The Iron injection is Ferritin. It makes me so frustrated, I am execising and eating healthy but no results. Help please.

Dear Concerned
Iron injections should not cause weight gain, they may however have stimulated your appetite? The slight increase in oestrogen could, also be contributing to weight gain, but I would suspect that other factors caused such a dramatic increase in your weight. 15 kg in 3 months is a lot of weight to gain in a short space of time. Compare your diet to the slimming diets on this Website (click on 'Diet' and then on 'Weightloss' and 'Slimming diets') to see if you are not eating more food and/or fat than is recommended. Other potential factors include depression which can cause dramatic weight loss or gain depending on the individual patient. If this could be a factor, then please see a psychiatrist to assist you to counteract the depression.
I do hope you can pinpoint what is causing your weight gain.

2
Posted by: Y | 2008/10/22

Hi - I went through the same thing about 5 yrs ago. Picked up 25 kgs in 5 months despite desparately dieting (Weighless - which is supposed to be balanced and healthy)) and exercising. Finally went to see the doctor and got diagnosed with insulin resistance and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Got put on Metformin for the insulin resistance - this stopped the weight gain, but I have still not managed to loose any of the excess weight - even after consulting a dietician specialising in treating insulin resistance and related diseases such as PCOS every 2 wks for almost a year. Good luck with your weight loss efforts.

Reply to Y
Posted by: Carole | 2008/10/21

You say you' re eating healthy.

I wonder, are you following a vegan diet? Eating low fat foods? Or a low carb diet? These could be contributing to your problems.

You need to be eating a balanced diet of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean proteins - meats, poultry, fish, eggs, and so on - too much to go into in this little box.

Are you doing the bulk of your eating throughout the day when you' re more likely to burn it? Or are you doing your heaviest eating at night?

There' s a lot of factors that could be involved. I know how frustrated you must feel. I hope this helps a little.

Carole
HighEnergyEating.com

Reply to Carole