Posted by: gina | 2009-09-23

Not labour law, shoplifting charge - HELP ME PLEASE!!!

I know this is not labour related, but if you can in some way help or advice me... PLEASE do.

My 14 mnth old and I went to a mall last week. She was inside the trolley - we visited 2 stores and the trolley was full of bags, tins of formula and nappies. We then went to a clothing store and i placed a dress over the railing of the trolley and a moisturiser and perfume I placed on top of one of my shopping bags inside the trolley. When I went to put the dress on acc, my baby started getting agitated and fussy. I haven'  t been sleeping for the past couple of weeks, I'  m a walking zombie.... because my lo is teething, my dad has a terminal disease and perhaps has a couple of weeks left to live, my hubby is overseas and I look after the 2 kids alone.

When I got outside the store I realised I didn'  t pay for the other 2 items, but before I could go in and pay - the security guard came.

I was arrested and put in a cell - HORRIBLE HORRIBLE experience!!!! Was later released and appeared before a judge... the black female prosecutor told my black lawyer that because I'  m white she was going to nail me!!! Another man came up for possession of a stolen firearm - she withdraws his charges!!! Now I must stand trial...

My lawyer is already costing me R4000.00, for stuff that costs R700.00 - I had R4000.00 credit still on my acc and R1000.00 in my wallet, even offered to pay for the items in cash - they didn'  t want to listen to me. I have now written to the store BEGGING them to withdraw the charges and explaining my circumstances. I can'  t afford a crminal record as we are applying for our visas to immigrate.

I AM A WRECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can'  t take it everything anymore.

PS: Plse don'  t crucify me for saying what the prosecutor said - I am NOT a racist, just telling what happened...

Any advice????

Thank you.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

It is suggested that you obtain legal aid and get a legal defense from a criminal lawyer.

Posted by: bonaqa | 2009-09-29

hey there,there is not much i can advice you but iam just schocked after reading your story this people from the store behave so unfair and your explanations r so easy to understand i just cant belive it that they have puted you in this sytuation, iwish there was something i could do.......but anyway good luck iam sure everything will be ok Take Care

Reply to bonaqa