Posted by: eve | 2009-01-14

Not happy with tummy

I have been struggling with tummy fat since i can remember. I have been on the Cohen Diet and even on that my tummy was there but not as much. I do on occassion over eat (even though i am full i will carry on eating) i have tried the drinking water while eating or drinking in between so i dont snack but i must be honest it doesnt help. I joined the gym about 3 weeks ago and i am gyming four times a week 45-60min but i am quite clueless of what to eat before or after gym, cos after gym i am not that hungry (athough i havent eaten)but once i get home i tuck into dinner. Please can you tell me where i am going wrong, i would love to lose this fat for once and for all. My bmi is in the right region(according to the virgin active machine) and my weight is also in the right region for my age and height. So what am i doing wrong with this tummy of mine. In case you need to know i had a caesarian birth about three years ago which made matters worse. I would appreciate any info.

Dear Eve
You say your BMI is normal and you are not overweight and you are doing gym for up to 60 min 4 times a week, so your tummy is probably not due to any of these factors, but the fact that you had a Caesarian plus the pregnancy which have stretched your stomach muscles. Ask your gym instructor for a set of exercises that target the tummy. If this does not make a difference after another 3 months, then I would suggest that you ask your gp to refer you to a plastic surgeon who will advise if he/she can repair these stretched muscles for you and/or use liposuction to improve the situation. A person of normal weight who does strenuous exercise for 60 min will initially not feel hungry, but then have a healthy appetite about 1-2 hours later. This is a normal mechanism - your body has to replenish its glycogen stores in the liver and the muscles so that you can recover from the exertion. If your weight is normal it indicates that your food intake is not excessive either.