Question
Posted by: Mopheme | 2011/09/29

Not going to the Toilet

I aet a variety of food in a typical day and I don''t drink alcohol nor smoke but still I take perhaps 5 days to go to toilet!

What could be the reason for that?!

Dear Mopheme
There are many people who only pass a stool every few days and are perfectly healthy. However if you only pass very hard, dry stools and this causes pain, bleeding or piles, then it could be an indication that you are constipated. It is best to use an increase in the dietary fibre (roughage) content of the diet, a moderate increase in liquid intake, probiotics, and regular physical exercise to get regular again. Click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page and then on 'Food as Medicine' and 'Healthy colon' to read the articles on how to restore the normal function of the colon and how to increase the fibre content of your diet. It is best to avoid harsh laxatives that disrupt the normal function of your colon and can cause dependency.

2
Posted by: Annemarie | 2011/09/30

Try adding some Oatbran to your diet. Tablespoon over your cereal, mix it in your yogurt, sprincle it over your salad and mix it in stews.
Fibre needs alot of water also during the day.

Reply to Annemarie

Dear Mopheme