Question
Posted by: Brendon | 2010/08/24

Not gaining weight

I am a 27 year old male who loves food, I eat every chance I get, normally healthy food but the occasional fast food fix creeps in every so often. The problem is though that I am 187cm tall and yet only weigh 70kgs, I can''t seem to pick up extra weight. I know that I should be around 80kgs if not more but I have never weighed more than 73kgs.
I would like to find out what I can do to pick up an extra couple of kilos, obviously I don''t want to pick up fat and I do excercise a few times a week but I want a bit more lean muscle on my body, please help.

Dear Brendon
Your present BMI = 20 which is lower than the ideal for a 27-year-old man, but still well within the normal range. If you could gain a few kg this would help. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement. To develop lean muscle tissue (which incidentally weighs less than fat tissue!), you need to work with weights which will also sculpt your body.

1

Dear Brendon