Question
Posted by: Can they force me? | 2010/09/07

Not for CS but the labour laywer is not responding

Good day

This is not a CS question, but I really need opinions on this one:

I work for a big SA company. They recently restructured and everybody had to re-apply for jobs. I applied for a voluntary retrenchment package and my application was succesfull. My last day of work will be on 31 December.

I am working in Bryanston now. They now want me to work in Rosebank for the remainder of my time at the company.

For various personal reasons, it does not suit me to work in Rosebank. Even though both are in Johannesburg, it will add significant travel time and costs due to traffic.

Can they force me to work in Rosebank if i Indicated right from the start that I do not want a job in Rosebank?

If I do go to Rosebank, can I insist that the additional travel time be done in the Company''''s time and not in my family time? I have 3 young children and I cannot leave earlier or get home later.

Thanks!

I suppose NOt wanting to work in Rosebank may have been one of the reasons you chose redundancy ? Ech.
Hope the Labour Law guy returns soon, as you need a good answer soon

4
Posted by: Latoya | 2010/09/07

Think of it this way, if the whole company was moving to Rosebank, would you refuse, i am sure companies can ask people to move to other branches without adding anytime or benefits. i remember i was moved from Sandton to Auckland park, without any extra money for petrol or time. a friend of mine was moved from Joburg to Pretoria, but they added money on his salary for extra travel, you seriously need to speak to a Labour expert.

Reply to Latoya
Posted by: G | 2010/09/07

Under normal circumstances, surely they can ask you to move to another branch/office?

Reply to G
Posted by: Margery | 2010/09/07

call the CCMA they will be able to give you a quick response!

Reply to Margery