Question
Posted by: Connie | 2012/01/24

Not falling preggies

This is really affecting me, I had been married for two years now and was married for 5 years before, and this is my second marriage. I have been trying to fall pregnant but it’ s just not happening. I had a child when I was 24 with the other guy and had to go a lot of operations to conceive. Now whenever I have sex with my hubby it hurts me knowing that I won''t have his child as we both wished. He told me to accept it and be okay, since he has two kids outside the marriage before we met. I am struggling to accept that I can''t fall preggies, we both hiv positive an have been living a very healthy lifestyle and both our cd4''s are above 500 and viral load undetectable, using condoms as always. It’ s only once in a while we don''t and when that happens I hope for a baby but no luck. I just depress me since I can’ t say much to him anymore.

I understand how distressing this could be for you. However, from your story, you encountered fertility problems in your first marriage, and presumably you would have realized that they were likely to be present in any other marriage, too.
I don't know enough about HIV to know whether this might have anything at all to do with this.
Maybe you should see a counsellor to deal with your feelings about all this, including exploring ways to see yourself, your marriage and sexual activity as worthwhile whether or not it can lead to conception. Already you have one child, and he has two, who need to be cared for.

1