Question
Posted by: KUSTHORIE DEVAR | 2011-02-08

Not enought Breast Milk

Dear Doctor

I have a six month old baby girl and she loves breast milk. I am not back at work and introduced her to bottle milk. She likes the bottle but also feels for the breast milk at times. I have noticed that she is sucking on my breast and there is not enough milk coming out and she cries.

Please help.

The best way to get milk flowing is for the baby to drink more. This stimulates production of milk. It is difficult to maintain if you do not breastfeed much.

10
Posted by: OccanyProna | 2011-05-05

Reply to OccanyProna
Posted by: endaccavesgek | 2011-04-23

Reply to endaccavesgek
Posted by: oreNuesow | 2011-04-20

Reply to oreNuesow
Posted by: abractiniar | 2011-03-12

Reply to abractiniar
Posted by: abractiniar | 2011-03-11

Reply to abractiniar
Posted by: BlennaDulaVem | 2011-03-10

Reply to BlennaDulaVem
Posted by: cegraccaskima | 2011-03-09

Reply to cegraccaskima
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-02-10

Posted by: Purple | 2011-02-08

Unfortunately when you start giving bottles of milk, your baby is demanding less milk from you so your body makes less milk (supply and demand).

To increase your milk supply, feed on demand, and express for 3 - 5 minutes on each breast immediately after each feed.

There is no need to introduce a baby to a bottle before a mom goes to work. Baby might not be happy to take the bottle for the first few days as they rather wait for mom to come home (its not dangerous as they are not going without milk any longer than a baby who sleeps through the night, which some babies do at this age - though not many). After about 3 or 4 days of this though, they tire of it and they just take the bottle.

In order to keep your milk supply up while at work, you need to ensure that you express milk two or three times a day. This milk can then be given to the baby the next day by bottle.

At this age, baby will also be starting on solids, which will also affect your milk supply. Remember that milk is still more important at this age, so just start with one meal a day and gradually increase this as baby seems to want more. ONly by about nine months will she be having three meals a day and from there you start introducing a morning and afternoon snack as well till at a year the solids become more important.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Star | 2011-02-08

Your breast has obviously adapted to the amount she drinks now with the bottle. My twins self weaned by 7 months, a month into starting with solids. If you want to continue the breastfeeding, mybe stop the bottle and pump in between to get your supply up again. Breast work on demand and suplly.

Reply to Star