Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2012/03/05

Not eating properly

Morning Doctor

My daughter will be 12 months on the 18 March. She is refusing to eat, it seems from a spoon. She goes to daycare where she was eating her porridge and cooked veg. This past 2 weeks, she has been spitting her food out and refusing to take in anything. If i give her finger foods, like polony or viennas or piece of fruit, or anything that she can eat herself, she will eat it after making a mess. Sometimes she eats it properly, other times she plays with the food spitting it out. She is still breastfed at nights only and over weekends. During the day she drinks a 150ml of formula every 3 hours because of her not eating properly. i have taken her for a check up to the dr, everything is fine. She has 7 teeth and the 8th bottom one is coming through, gums very swollen there.
i feel so helpless and yet she seems quite happy and content.

thanks so much for your advice

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Michelle,
This is not really a question for this forum, as I only answer questions pertaining to adolescent and adult eating disorders.I am not a pediatrician and think that this is where to go if you are still concerned. It is good that you have already consulted with a doctor and all seems fine. Our baby is also just one years old and although we have been fortunate with no problems yet, this is an exception. The teething period is often a good explanation for early eating problems and disruptive eating habits. Just make sure that you baby is not losing weight and maintaining good weight gain. Do you see a pediatric outpatient nurse who gives your baby her shots, etc.? Ask there if you are seeing someone. It is also quite normal for a 1-year-old to demonstrate early eating problems like food refusal. Don't panic, but watch the situation closely and try and make the feeding times playful.
Regards,
Graham

2
Posted by: Eating Disorders Expert | 2012/03/06

Hi Michelle,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders Expert
Posted by: MICHELLE | 2012/03/05

SORRY DOC, PLEASE IGNORE.

did not realise it is only for eating disorders, i have consulted the paed.
thanks

Reply to MICHELLE