Question
Posted by: Merinda du Preez | 2010/09/11

Not eating

My father has been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer 10 weeks ago. He underwent chemo three times but the albimien is to low in the body to continue. He has been in and out the hospital. My worst concern now is that he is not really taking in food. He eats a little porridge, tea, ptoteien shakes - 1 glass, 2 teaspoons mash with a bit mince, two cups of soup - basically this is a whole days food. iIs there anything i can do to make him wanting to eat some more.
Thanks for the help

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Merinda,
It must be very difficult for you to be experiencing what your father is going through. However, your father is not so much suffering from an eating disorder like anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa or binge eating disorder, which is the focus of this forum. Rather, your father's lack of appetite and difficulty is very typical of cancer sufferers, especially while undergong chemotherapy. I would suggest you either post you concern to the DietDoc forum on Health24.com or join you father in consulting with a registered dietician who has experience in working with cancer sufferers and have your father prescribed a diet that will help him eat a balanced diet. I hope this helps.
Regards,
Graham

1
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010/09/12

Hello Merinda,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert