Question
Posted by: Ginger | 2010/08/10

Not CS related - Creche Negligence

Hi All. Last week Mon, the creche did not change my babies nappies as all 4 nappies were returned. This resulted into a red burning red rash 4 my lil'''' 2 year boy. I raised this with the assistance the following day &  they said that ysterday was so crazy that none of the babies were changed. My lil'''' was crying the whole nite, I took him to the doctor &  she was livid saying that it is negligence . What do u make of this situation? I made the principle aware &  the assistane got written warnings

What on earth happens in a creche, to make it "so crazy" that something so basic as a nappy change is neglected for all the kids for the whole day ? That's neglect. More than warnings to the negligwent and uncaring staff is needed. a proper investigation is need to find out what on earth WERE they doing all day. They should not be allowed to work with kids right now, without supervision. Maybe report this to the child welfare authorities to look into.

6
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/05/13

I took my daughter 11 months to a creche and on her first day she was stung by a bee, then a fter a month she had a burnt bum due to a nappy not changed then after two weeks she while the dad collected her, she had deep scratches on her back and I immediately called the owner on the day of the third incident as this was too much ...she told me she'd investigate after telling me she'd refund me my money, what do you call that,,,? You are referred to a creche and trust that they will look after your child but they don't. And no one knew what happened, this is what made me more mad cause there was supposed to be someone looking after the little ones as they say they can.

Posted by: Nia | 2010/08/11

Ginger - I have taken my 18 months old child out of a creche after they once did not take his jersey off on a summers day. I felt that was negligent. Not changing nappies are even more negligent.

Tell the headmaster that you no longer want that specific assistant to work in your child''s group. If she does not want to remove her then take your child out of that school.

What Alice is saying is shocking, but many of us dont have a choice but to use creche''s for our kids.

Reply to Nia
Posted by: Alice | 2010/08/11

Hi Ginger,
I was a nursery school teacher 5 years ago, so I can relate to what you are saying. My advice is to take your child out of the school immediately, because if it happened once, I can promise you that it will happen again.
I left nursery school teaching, because I couldn''t handle it anymore. Our superiors treated us like crap and i couldn''t even support myself on the salary that I was earning. However, with that said, I always treated every child in my class with all the love and respect that I could give. I was always horrified how the other teachers/ assistants treated them.
Because the salaries are so low, and the staff get treated so badly, negligence happens often. What''s scary is that most of the time the parents don''t even know about it. I''ve often was told by a superior not to tell parents about certain things, like the child having worms or suspicion of child abuse.
I worked for a very popular group of nursery schools in Sandton, and you won''t believe the stories that I have about them. All I can say is that I''m glad that I''m out of that situation, and the only advice that I can give you, and to everyone who reads this is to be VERY careful where you send your children, because most often, all is not what it seems.

Reply to Alice
Posted by: Purple | 2010/08/11

The head hasn''t resolved the problem by giving the assistants warnings.
Why was there no supervision of the assistants in the first place. A person at an assistant level is not there to make decisions, they need to be told when to change nappies, when to warm up food etc.

Please find somewhere else for your child and also report the creche to the appropriate authorities for investigation.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Zola | 2010/08/10

Do the assistants know that you told the head of the creche? Because if theu know that it''s because of you that they got a written warning, they might neglect your child even further...

Reply to Zola