Posted by: Anon | 2013-02-15

not coping with stress during pregnancy

Hi there,

I''m currently 22 weeks pregnant with my first (scary and nervewrecking enough) and because it was not planned, we have been rushing around trying to get everything sorted out, moving house, dealing with doctors and medical aid etc. Nothing has gone smoothly.
Most recently, the gynae I have been going to has told us that she is no longer going to be on my medical aid and refered me to another one at the same hospital who can only see me in April. I need to fill and hand in my hospital admission form but I can''t do that before seeing this new gynae and I''m not going to see her before the forms need to be handed in.. I don''t know what I''m suppose to do, I can already see issues with my medical aid not wanting to pay because we didn''t do things in right timeframe..
I also keep on recieving the same bill from my gp, something that we have paid and we have gone and shown them that it''s paid but I got the same bill again this month, had to drive all the way to them to get it sorted out and I already know I will get it AGAIN next month, I''m scared that I will get blacklisted because of a clerical error on their end.
Those are the two major things that are stressing me out beyond belief at the moment, but there are many other tiny things that are going wrong. Things are driving me to tears lately and I''m not usually very emotional but I cannot help but burst into tears, the last few times I have gotten bad news I have also felt extremely close to fainting/blacking out and struggling to catch my breath. I feel very panicky/anxious lately, I''m scared that I might collapse one of these days, what can I do?

Maybe you can call the new doc's office and ask if she can help fill in the forms due to this unfortunate gap ; I'd certainly ask your doctor thus far, who is responsible for this unfortunate gap in your care, to fill in these forms with you, as she knows all the relevant details, and SHE has unwittingly caused this problem by the timing of her move. She could also call the medical aid to clarify what has happened and ask them to perhaps allow you to submit the forms a little late without penalty or disadvantage.
Tell the GP you have been as understanding as you possibly can, but he must realize that causing you needless stress and hardship by the negligence of his office repeatedly billing you for a sum that has been paid is unacceptable, and you may need to approach the medical / Health professions COuncil is this continues. If you get blacklisted due to the negligence of his staff, it will be his duty and at his own expense to promptly get you UN listed.
Try to relax - these are unfortunate difficulties caused by other people's thoughtless decisions, and not your fault. It will all get sorted out before long. Can your medical aid allow you to see a counsellor to learn some CBT methods to relax yourself when you need to ?

Posted by: Rosy | 2013-02-19

Sorry you are struggling so badly with this pregnancy.
Why don''t you take the initiative to phone around and find a gynae that can give you an appointment sooner? Call the hospital maternity ward or even visit the ward and ask them for a list of doctors that deliver at the hospital. Explain that your doc will no longer be contracted to medical aid. The alternative is to continue seeing your doctor, pay cash and then claim from medical aid. If you are only supposed to use network doctors, then call up your medical aid and check their list of doctors that you are allowed to use.

You need to contact the GP and advise them that this has been settled and ask them to give you a copy of the statement showing that this has been paid.

Motherhood is a challenge and your challenges have not even begun. You do need to find a way to get through these minor issues, that seem to impact you so greatly.

I spent most of a multiple pregnancy in and out of hospital, with constant fear of miscarrying and endless medical bills to sort out, and my gynae went away on holiday around the time I was due to have a c-section. You need to stay focused, tell yourself that you are capable and will make it through any crisis that comes your way. Tell yourself that you are in charge and will see that nothing overwhelms you, especially minor issues.

Sadly I lost one of my babies, and took him my other babies, with many preemie problems. I thought I would never cope. But I reminded myself everyday that I am strong and not a failure and will get through it.

Psyche yourself up girl. Believe in yourself and your abilities. You can get through these challenges and you will be a great mum. Yes, it is scary, but you can do it.

Reply to Rosy