Question
Posted by: Balloons | 2010-02-02

Not being treated with respect- post 2

Hello, thanks for the advice given the other day- I have not had a chance to action any of it though. I just wanted to vent a bit about a new issue. I was helping the bookkeeper (she is such a perfectionist and as mentioned, she forgets things and gets confused) so she needed help getting the books to balance for the companies personal accounts. I don’ t think she was allowed to do this as it was for the same account that the bosses had a fit with the bank for because I saw the statement, but she needed help and swore me to secrecy. So while I was helping her, I saw what everybody in the company earned, and was a bit disappointed at what I saw. The bookkeeper earns nearly R7000 and she works half day. She’ s been at the company for nearly 2 years. That’ s more than I earn, and I am going onto my third year here (but I understand that because all bookkeepers get paid a lot). The next two amounts shocked me- my bosses wife (who always complains that she has to beg my boss for ” pocket money” , she doesn’ t have to pay for electricity, medical aid, ANYTHING really necessary out of her own money and that irritates me that she complains she’ s “ poor”  where as I earn peanuts compared to her and I don’ t complain). She is barely in office, takes time off when she’ s tired or moody (in fact she hasn’ t been in office for 3 weeks because of an ulcer that got infected), watches T.V. during the day, goes to the shops at least once a day, spends time playing with her dogs, etc, etc, etc all while she’ s supposed to be working (and believe me, people notice when she’ s gone as she has quite an important job to do at the company and whoever answers the phone always has to give answers to the irritated clients as to why she is not in the office AGAIN). She earns nearly R20k. But that I kind of understand to because she’ s the bosses wife. The next one hurts me the most. It is for the lady who hasn’ t been here for even a year (the one who always takes my pens), is not specialized in her job, has to have things repeated to her more than once (simple things- instructions, phone numbers, email addresses, etc), she always needs to be reminded by my boss to follow up on her leads, has to be helped to do the simplest tasks, etc, etc. A lot of the time I have to listen to her instructions for the day because she forgets and needs me to help her or else “ the boss is going to kill her” . Her salary is the same amount that I was earning last year (after my two increases I might add). I mean, these people are always asking me for help but they get paid more than I do? I’ ve been here the longest out of the bookkeeper and pen-stealing-lady, but they earn more than I do????? I don’ t get it. It just goes back to the fact that I’ m seriously under-appreciated at this company. But there’ s nothing I can do about it. Anyway, I just wanted to vent a bit. Thanks for listening.

Vent away. They don't tax venting ( so far ) but it probably contributes to global warming.
Well, at least you've discovered why they got into a frenzy about your seeing these acounts. They don't seem to mind paying an accountant who can't handle the accounts. As for the other woman, couldn't YOU become unfortunately more forgetful and less able to help her ? You don't have to listen to HER instriuctions for the say. And if the boss kills her, as she claims he will, well, I'm sure you'll manage to be awfully brave about that.
And hide your pens better.

1

And hide your pens better.