Question

Not all its made out to be

What do I do with being sensitive? I was brought up to believe it was a sign of weakness but after years of therapy I have finally come to terms with some of its advantages. Realise it often seems to go hand in hand with high intelligence (which apparently I am). Why is it that very sensitive people live with an ache, a deep sense of sadness but have equally profound moments of joy. Why is it that I can''t just look at a leaf, I have to turn it over and look at it from all angles. Why do I suffer from layered thinking, I think about thinking and then I think about the fact that I am thinking about thinking - bit like the endless mirror image. I don''t know that being sensitive/intelligent is necessarily that great.

Some of us are strong enough to be gentle - cpongratulations for being one of those. But it can be useful, in therapy, to become more selective as to what you allow yourelf to be so sensitive about. Part of what you describe, though, sounds more like obsessiveness than sensitivity.

2
Posted by: ANon | 2010/07/07

Check out the book: The HIghly Sensitive Person by Elaine Aron!

Reply to ANon