Question
Posted by: Des | 2011-12-09

Not again.

Exactly this time last year I was struck by what was diagnosed as my first bladder infection and microscopic haematuria. After 3 days, antibiotics apparently cleared the infection (according to the dipstick) but not the haematuria. I was also still experiencing pelvic pain and from that moment on for an entire month I went from GP to GP, to a gynaecologist, and to a urologist (GP trips x about 6, gynae x 2, urologist x 2) and all in all I had the following tests: pap smears, vaginal swabs, pelvic and abdominal ultrasound by gynae, pelvic exams, pelvic and abdominal ultrasound by urologist, abdominal x-rays, pelvic/renal CT scan and a cystoscopy. After all these tests, NOTHING was found to be wrong (the only thing was after the cystoscopy, he just said he had to stretch my urethra, but my bladder was perfect). All the while I was in extreme pelvic pain with no answers. Finally a GP said maybe it was a pelvic infection (I still don’ t know how as I’ m happily married and didn’ t have any STI’ s) and she prescribed 3 different antibiotics for a period of 7 days. Pain improved dramatically but over the next months never really went away completely. In July this year it completely stopped. BUT sadly this week, I fear the same pains coming on again. I cannot go through this again and I cannot go through not ever knowing what is wrong but being in so much pain. I am an anxious fearful person and I know this does not help at all and this time of year is the busiest time of year for me in terms of my career. It is definitely organ related and feels like a heavy painful feeling deep inside (not like menstrual pains, maybe similar, but not really). Sometimes when urinating it gets worse. I completely believe that it’ s gynae or bladder related. My periods are regular with no major issues, just pain (not the same pain), but they are quite light now that I’ m older (35 yrs). My bowel movements are very regular (maybe a bit too diarrhea-like), but otherwise normal with no pain and no gas etc. so I don’ t believe it’ s gastrointestinal related. There is just one thing that is a little perplexing to me though and the same occurred last year, unlike with period pain and only a painkiller assisting with pain, this pain completely goes away when I lie on my back and upon waking in the morning its gone, but increases during the day. I’ m a woman and I know what pelvic pain feels like, but I just don’ t even know where to start this time. I cannot go through this again. I am hoping you can offer some advice.

Des

It is possible that you are suffering from pelvic inflammatory disease and you will have to consult your doctor for a course of antibiotics. Refer to the following link for a detailed discussion about this disease: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelvic_inflammatory_disease

You should also consult an orthopedic surgeon for x-rays of your lower back, as this can also explain some of your pain, especially the fact that your pain disappears when lying down and progressively worsens during the day.

In the interim, you can use Naproxen 275mg, two tablets, three times daily to ease the pain.