Posted by: Jen | 2009-09-01

Nose runs when exercising

Hi! Why does my nose always run when I' m exercising? I walk every day and after a bout 5 minutes it starts running - it drives me mad! I get quite light-headed constantly blowing my nose or sniffing. Is there anything that I can do to prevent this. It' s not from hayfever because it happens when I exercise indoors too.

Hi Jen

Cold air and increased flow rates, to be simplistic about it. This paralyses the tiny hairs in the nose and the result is that noses run in the cold. It happens to a lot of people and there isn't too much you can do to prevent it. It should stop once the weather gets warmer. It also seems based on my experience, to go away after a while, perhaps one gets used to it. So over time, it might go away.