Question
Posted by: BMJ | 2011/03/17

Nose problem

Dear Doc

My almost 8 year old son has a cold? - He only has a very congested nose - not any other cold symptoms. No fever of cough or sore throat. His nose is not runny, it is very blocked and his ears are discharing (he has his 5th set of grommets as he has a problem with the eustachian tubes blocking up quickly). He battles to breath because his nose is so blocked and he speaks like someone pinching their nose.

I have a neti pot (a little teapost thing that you add a salt/bicarb solution to that rinses the sinusses without going down the throat) and we have used it morning and evening. The gunk coming out smells very foul and is very thick. His nose is so blocked that the water just drips out a drop or two at a time. I have also been spraying his nose with just seawater spray (I forget the name). Last night he was so desperate because he felt like he was suffocating when lying down that I used some peadiatric nasal spray. It obviously helped tremendously and this morning when we rinsed his nose the solution ran through much easier and we were able to rinse out much of the mucous. But the smell was just so awful.

My question is this. In an absense of a fever, do you think he might have sinusitus and need an antibiotic? I know you dont like illiadin, but the poor child is so congested, can we use it for 3 days to get over the worst). The last time we saw our ENT in Jan he gave me a script for Celestemine (
20mg) and said to use it when needed. Is this a when needed case now and for how many days?

My son has been batteling since sat (5 days)

Thank you for your advise.

Hallo BMJ
I do think that he has a sinusitis and probably needs antibiotics. He may also need some cortisone to reduce the swelling and promote draining. Rather see your doctor for this

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/03/17

Hallo BMJ