Question
Posted by: Madeleine | 2011/09/14

Nose Picking

My grandson is turning 4 in November. My concern is that he is constantly picking his nose. If you ask him to stop, he will go on. How can we get him to stop this? Is it common at this age to do it? Should I even be concerned?

Expert ImageBehaviour modification

Hi Madelein
It is very common at his age and he will most likely grow out of it when he becomes more aware of himself. One way to get him to stop is to take a video of him doing it on your cell phone camera and play it back to him. Ask him how it looks to him when he is picking his nose. Tell him it is fine to do it when he is on his own but it is "yucky" to do it in front of other people.