Question
Posted by: Pam | 2009-09-09

Nose bleeds and sinus

Doc, I am a 40 year old woman. I have this irritating cough now for about a year because of a post nasal drip. I use Advil CS almost permantly. As soon as I stop the use I get a terrible sinus infection. I also suffer from nose bleeds, don' t know if its a vein in my nose or if it is from the sinus. What can I use to dry this sinus once and for all!

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Pam

I suggest you see an ENT for a full examination of your sino-nasal cavity as it is impossible to say what that cause of your problem is. You may also need to have a CT scan of your sinusses. It is not adviseble to use Advil CS for such a long period of time as you are interfering with the normal mucosal production of your nose. A cause for your problem must be established as there are safer drugs to use on a chronic basis in the nasal cavity.

If your nosebleed is from a vascular cause this can then be dealt with appropriately. It is possible that the Advil is drying out your nasal cavity, making it more susceptible to nosebleeds.