Question
Posted by: Charlene | 2009-07-03

Nose Bleeds

My 16 year old son has been having frequent nose bleeds over the past few months. He often woke up in the morning with blood all over his pillow. It seems to be happening more frequently lately and it now happens any time of day not only during the night. It only bleeds out of the left nostril and never the right. Any help or advice you could give me will be greatly appreciated.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Charlene

I do think you need to take your son to an ENT surgeon. It could just be a very small problem and a little bleed from the septum, due to nose picking or allergies. This always settles with a nasal ointment or cautery of the vessel.
However, boys presenting with nose bleeds must always be examined for a growth in the nose. There is one specific, but very rare lesion, that only occur in young boys that must always be excluded. This will present with nose bleeds from one side and can also be accompanied by nasal obstruction. Your ENT will be able to exclude this lesion, called an angiofibroma.