Posted by: mommDaddy | 2010-12-07

nose bleeding on BOTH my kids

both my daughters (9 and 6) suffer from nose-bleeding. it happens when it''s hot, at night , at school, when playing or any other time. it does not occur everyday but i find it strange and worrying that they both could be sleeping then have to wake up b''coz they''re bleeding. what if they get choked from this, esp if lying on their backs? sometimes it''s both of them at the same time or they interchange.

what is this?

worried SICK.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear MommDaddy

Your children require an ENT examination to try an establish a cause for the nosebleeds. Generally the problem is due to allergies, or prominent, enlarged bloodvessels in the front of the nose. In hot weather the bloodvessels enlarge, and are more prone to breaking and therefore bleeding. Unfortunately children scratch their noses, often without being aware, causing the bleeding, (ie. in their sleep).
This can be managed with ointment, and in more severe cases one could cauterise the nasal passage.
An examination is first needed to exclude other causes, such as a growth in the nose, or a general underlying bleeding disorder. These causes are indeed very rare. Nosebleeds in children are quite common.