Posted by: Elize | 2011-02-03

nose bleed

Hi Doc, please help me my son is turning 6 this year he has nose problems. its itches then he will rub it then after it will bleed. What is the cause of this? It happens when he is sleeping or when he wakes up in the morning. Lately it happens every second day.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Elize

You should see your doctor as your son is most likely suffering allergies, causing him to scratch or rub the nose. This can damage the small bloodvessels that are located in the front part of the nasal septum. Allergies and the resulting itchyness, is the reason he is rubbing, so the problem will be controlled on the long run by treating his possible allergies. Obviously other causes for the rubbing should be excluded, but allergies have been found to be the most common cause in children.
In the current setting, an ENT should examine the status of the nose, as some cases will respond to topical medication, but more severe cases may require cautery of that part of the nose. If allergies where the cause, that should also be treated. Remember that one can only cauterise one side of the nasal septum at a time, to avoid longterm damage.
Discuss these options with your doctor.