Question
Posted by: Lily | 2009-09-28

Normal intrinsic factor but still due B12 injections?

Hello,
Following blood tests a couple of months ago, I was told I was vitamin B12 deficient and prescribed a course of injections (2 a week for 3 weeks) On the first day of my injections, the nurse said that they hadn' t checked my intrinsic factor and so took more blood. I have just phoned for the results and was told my intrinsic factor is normal yet the lady I spoke to said I still need to come in for a B12 shot in December (as I was due to have them every 12 weeks after my initial course) I' m not sure why this is necessary if my intrinsic factor is normal as judging from what I have read online it is only Pernicious Anaemia if you are lacking / missing the intrinsic factor? Please help!!!

Lily

If your B12 count was low, you should get B12 supplementation. Surely if you were anaemic, your doctor would have informed you. It is good news that your intrinsic factor is normal, as you will then be able to absorb B12 in your distal ileum.

Refer to the following link regarding B12 deficiency: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B12_Deficiency