Posted by: Kt | 2012-11-08

Normal glucose levels

I would like to know the normal glucose levels for a non diabetic. Mine was 8.1 3 hrs after supper and 8.4 an hour after eating a rusk mid morning. My fasting level is 5.4 most mornings.

I looked on internet but they are all different and it depends which country you in.

Your readings are high and you should consult your doctor for a glucose tolerance test. A normal random glucose level, should be between 3.2 and 5. Besides the glucose tolerance test, your doctor will have to do a blood test, to determine if there are any other risk factors and the possibility of insulin resistance.

Posted by: Momof3 | 2012-11-11

hi Kt

Being diabetic type 2 I can tell you that normal levels are 6 and below.

The best is to take your glucose level just before you eat a meal.
then take it again 2hrs after you finished eating that meal.
Your glucose will go up after eating if you had any starch in your meal. eg, rice, potato,cereal, porridge, bread. etc
Starch converts to sugar in the body and as we get older the body struggles to use all the sugar from the starches we eat so it stores it in fat , especially around the tummy area.

If you want to reduce your glucose level, eat a small portion of starch at each meal, normal protein and fill up on salad or vegetables. be careful or mielies, (corn) peas &  carrots 7 pumpkin as they also have starch in them so eat small amounts of them and 1 fruit. i think the Dr will advice you to have a glucose fasting test done. Dont eat 14hrs before your test so they cant get the levels and there is another test HBa1c now that gives you a 6months average of how your sugar has been.
Going from 5 - 8 is not that bad, my dietician would say to me being a type 2 but if it goes higher like a 9 and stays there or an 8 on a regular basis you could have damage to your nerves in the eye, and feet ,kidneys &  heart. Those are the organs that are most effected. . 8,4 after eating a rusk ( the time was too short to say -needs to be 2hrs ) but that shows you how many carbs there are in a rusk. It would have been better to have 1 slice of whole wheat bread with marg, and peanut butter on it. (healthy &  will keep you fuller for longer ) Follow a Low GI Diet .

So its good that you test now &  again and keep it down and keep your eye on it. Another way is to exercise daily to burn off the extra sugar our body cant burn anymore . walk for 35mins, swim if you cant walk or just working in the garden, cleaning the house etc could do it too.

Hope this helps you a bit. But please keep and eye on your carbs.

Reply to Momof3