Question
Posted by: Janine | 2012/01/13

normal / abnormal period

Hi doc,

My cycle is anywhere between 24 - 28 days. Although no 2 consecutive months are the same amount of days in between, I still consider myself regular.

My actual period usually lasts for 5 days in total, starting with a warning of brown discharge for about a day. However, the last 2 months has been completely different. Although my period is not late, there is however no more brown discharge at the start. It arrives, it literally only lasts 2 days, and then disappears. After that I''ll have a brown or diluted red spotting for another day or 2. The last two months have been like this.

Is it acceptable that my period is changing? I am trying to conceive, and it''s rather distressing when my period seems different.

Periods do change over time and this sounds okay unless your bleeding is very scanty. If you are struggling to conceive, you should see your gynaecologist. Remember that anxiety can also cause changes in periods.

1