Question
Posted by: Meeyagi | 2011/08/25

Nonproductive at work due to laziness or something more sinister?

Hi Doc,

Of late i''ve been highly unproductive at work. It seems as though it just started overnight.

I would understand that it may be like this if I were stressed at work or work a lot of overtime but the thing is that I don''t ever have a need to work overtime and my job is not that stressful. My salary is not that bad either.

At times I even get so tired that I can''t even keep my eyes open at my desk. Its like I''ve been working the entire day non stop.

At other times I can''t seem to get down to doing some real work.

I''ve rounded this of to me just becoming lazy (which is quite troubling) but I cant help but feel that there is something else that''s wrong. Is there?

P.S. I have a wonderful home life so I doubt that will be affecting my work life.

Please help

Lazy people tend o be lazy. If you've noticed a difference in your energy and performance, and even more so if it bothers you, then you don't at all sound like a naturally lazy person.
Yes, excessive stress can cause this, but so also may UNDER-stress and boredom or monotony.
I assume you're eating and sleeping normally, so you're not tired from partying all night. Depression can cause us to lose energy and feel sleepy and unsatisfied with whatever sleep we got. There are also a number of physical conditions than can cause such a situation, including infections of various kinds, under-active thyroid, and so on. So maybe a good physical checkup would be useful.

1