Question
Posted by: Christa | 2009-02-22

non-specific melanoma in 10 year old cat

Hi- my 10 year old British Blue developed a growth the size of a pea in the corner of her mouth. The vet had it removed and tested and said that it' s a non-specific melanoma and it is malignant. He says he doesn' t think chemo or radiotherapy would help, since the area is very sensitivewith a lot of blood vessels and nerves in that area. This is also the reason why he couldn' t remove everything. The tumour is certainly aggressive and in the two weeks after the op it has grown back to its original size. I certainly don' t want to subject her to all kinds of treatments but I wondered whether something like acupuncture might make it smaller? (I' m grasping at straws here!) If nothing will help, how will I know when it' s so bad that I shouldn' t let her suffer anymore? She' s still fine: eating and playing. She doesn' t want me to touch the area, which makes me think it' s sensitive but she doesn' t cry. How can I know if it' s bad for her, if she' s in pain? It' s driving me crazy!
Christa

Dear Christa

Unfortunately melanomas carry a very grave prognoses and can spread elsewhere. Ask your vet for Metacam. This is a anti-inflammatory that you can use daily long term. As soon as she seems very uncomfortable it will be best not to continue past that point.

1
Posted by: Gogga | 2009-02-23

My 17-year-old cat had cancer in the salivary glands under her jaw. She lasted about 3 months after the diagnosis. As long as your cat is eating and playing she' s not in pain. You will definitely see when she' s beginning to suffer. In my cat' s case the tumour grew so big that it constricted her throat and she had trouble eating and finally began to breathe in a noisy, raspy way. That' s when I knew it was time, and the vet agreed.
A cat that' s in pain will hide away in a cupboard or laundry basket, won' t play and won' t eat.
I was also grasping at straws and tried an African potato gel thing but it tastes awful and she objected violently to it, so I decided not to punish her with treatments and just enjoy her company and pamper her as long as I could. Now is the time to give her all the fattening foods and treats you withheld before!

Reply to Gogga