Question
Posted by: Fred | 2009-11-10

Non responsive treatment for depression

I have in the past repeatedly tried getting help for depression and social anxiety disorder from various quacks and various meds. It would appear that I am pretty useless at having my head shrunk nor do I seem to respond to any medication. The longest I have lasted is 12 months, with zero improvement. The only thing I' ve been cured of is hope and mountains of money. I' ve been thinking of having my brain frizzed, but there seem to be two schools of thought on that one. I' ve also been unemployed for the last 6 years and holding a job doesn' t seem to work (due to my inability to function). I appear to be out of options.

Hey, some of us may appear unshrinkable, but we can still usually be helped. Here are some thoughts. At least 20 % of people don't respond usefully to any particular antidepressant, so indeed one may if unlucky, try 2 or 3 before finding one that may be useful. Then, some Depressions are found to be what doc's tactfully call "treatment resistant" - they don't seem to respond well to any current antidepressant.
These too may respond to combinations of meds added to the antidepressants, such as thyroid hormone ( thyroxine ) or Lithium. Some of these will indeed respond to ECT, which if competently done can be useful though not a first-line first-choice.
A different approach which can help at any stage, is only one specific variety of counselling / psychotherapy, CbT, Cognitive-behaviour Therapy, which can help one to unlearn the habits of ngeative thinking, etc., and has been shown in good research to be surprisingly effective and with lasting benefits. SADAG seems to list some of the docs able to offer this modeality of treatment.
Keep on trying. It should be possible to relieve the depression and enhance your ability to function. Maybe someone at your nearest medical school's dept of psychiatry would have a paticular interest in treatment resistant depression and could work with you on this

2
Posted by: Fred | 2009-11-11

I' ve tried the whole medical school farce too. Will try again. Failing that, a good hanging should cure my bacon.

Reply to Fred