Posted by: Noah | 2011-09-23

Non motile sperm

Dear Fertility Expert

I am 34 yrs old- non smoker and non drinker- we are trying to have a baby for about 6 yrs now.

I am certain that you are able to assist me. I am a bit shocked as I just received my sperm results:

- volume: 2ml
-viscosity: 0.5
- occasional non-motile sperm seen
-Too few sperms for morphological evaluation (< 3mill/ml)

Does this mean that I produce too little sperm and some duds or are my " tubes"  partially blocked that not enough sperm is coming through?

Are there medications that can be used to improve the situation?

Dear Noah

It is important that you repeat your semen analysis as one would not make a diagnosis on one sperm test. This is done because sperm test results can fluctuate from month to month and are influenced by circumstances. If however your next semen analysis reveals a similar sort of result then this would indicate that this is probably why you are having difficulty in achieving a pregnancy with your wife. The more common reasons as to these results would be a production problem as to an obstruction problem. There aren’t any medications that will really improve this situation, many multivitamins that are out there on the market but usually these do not help much. Your best option would be in-vitro fertilization [IVF] with a procedure called intracytoplasmic sperm injection [ICSI].

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo