Question
Posted by: Charlene | 2009-08-24

Non-kilojoule energy

Hi, Doc

My dietitian told me to loose weight and provided guidelines and a mealplan.I also try to eat small regular meals a day.

Just want to know: what form of supplement can I take (like example B-vitamins) to get energy during the day without the xtra kJ found in supplements like Nutren Activ / Replace / Ensure.

Does B-vitamins give you energy?

Dear Charlene
B complex vitamins do tend to make one feel more energetic because most of them play an important role in the various metabolic and energy-releasing processes in the body. However, B vitamins may also stimulate your appetite which is probably not advisable if you are trying to lose weight. Did the dietitian give you what is called a 'low-GI' (low glycaemic index) diet? If not, please discuss this lack of energy you seem to be experiencing with her because you may find that you require low-GI foods to make your blood sugar and insulin levels more stable throughout the day. This will ensure that you have more energy.