Posted by: Lara | 2011-08-30

non-irritant skincare products

Doc could you perhaps point me to a site where I can get a list of skincare products available in SA that are considered safe for people with dermatitis/eczema?
I have good results with unscented (baby) aqueous cream for face washing or as a body cream, but as a face cream it causes excessive sweating. Reitzer''s soluble bath oil is also great for keeping my skin from drying out too much.
I still need a non-irritating shampoo, body soap and underarm deodorant. My own trial-and-error efforts to find something that doesn''t give me a rash are getting expensive and frustrating! I don''t know what I''m allergic/sensitive to but sometimes it feels like everything makes me itch. I don''t use any make-up.

Consult a dermatologist, as they are aware of the cutting edge products available. Unfortunately, people have different reactions to products and it is therefore, important to consult a dermatologist to have a diagnosis made of any possible underlying pathology.

Posted by: Lara | 2011-08-31

I''ve seen the advert for E45 on TV and found it on the internet, but didn''t know where to buy it. Thanks for the heads-up, I''ll try Clicks! I was hoping to avoid the expense of a dermatologist..... A GP told me to use " baby stuff"  but a lot of the baby products seem to contain lanolin which is bad news. All I can say is thank heavens for cortisone injections and cream!

Reply to Lara
Posted by: A | 2011-08-31

I have quite itchy, dry, sensitive skin and I''ve found Dermatological E45 Cream (which you can get from clicks) to be great, although also a bit too greasy for the face (depends if you are prone to pimples/ blackheads I guess). Works well on the body though and not too expensive!

Also, I know it''s expensive, but try something like the Environ products, available from skincare clinics/ beauty therapists. They really do last a long time, even though they are pricy, and do work WITH your skin.

Oh and The Body Shop has a great non-irritating crystal deodorant that lasts a long time. In fact a lot of their products might be worth a try (the non-scented ones, of course).

Good luck!

Reply to A