Question
Posted by: Concerned wife | 2011-10-14

Non-epileptic seizures

Hi doc

In 2007 my husband started having ''seizures''. These only occured at night while he was asleep. He would typically wake up very nauseous, sweating. Have a violent puke session and then usually have the seizure which resulted in him going stiff for about 1-2 minutes, jaws clenched, making these weird breathing sounds, eyes rolled back and wetting himself. Afterwards he would be full of winds and his stomach very sore for the next few days.

This would happen on and off during the year. I''d say maybe he had 8-10 episodes that year. He saw a neurologist, cardiologist and gastroenterologist, but they could find nothing wrong, though the latter diagnosed him with a spastic colon. At the end of 2007, these seizures just stopped.

Until Sunday the weather went upto about 39 degrees and hubby came to bed saying he felt a bit nauseous, woke up about 1-2hrs later and vomited, seizure, wet himself and then passes out for a few minutes. Our GP said to go back for tests, but we spent so much money on tests results that came back normal. He doesnt have epilepsy...I''m sure of that.

These only take place at night. Are there any other types of seizures we can investigate? Anything related to heat/fevers perhaps? Any supplements/dietary changes he can take/make?

On our wedding day it was also very hot and he passed out at the altar.

These happen once in a blue moon...so I dont feel he needs to be on medication permamently.

Otherwise he is healthy, not overweight at all, early 30''s.

It is possible that poor heat regulation of his body can cause such episodes. Install an airconditioner and set it to keep the room cool at 18 degrees celsius. I really that this is the answer and please be so kind as to provide me with feedback.

I do however, suggest that you ask your GP for a thyroid count, as well as a glucose tolerance test to exclude thyroid pathology and diabetes.

It is also advisable to have an EEG done. This is very spesific to pick any abnormal electric brain activity up. These tests should not cost an arm and leg and is essential.