Posted by: Ian | 2009-08-18

Non alcoholic fatty liver disease - NAFLD

Hi Doc.
I have been diagnosed with excess fatty deposits in my liver. i am currently on liver detox medication for two months after which i need to be retested to determine reduction levels. I am 52 yrs old and have not had alcohol or smoke for 12 years.
I am looking for a diet that will assist me in managing this NAFLD.
Any positive input will be appreciated.

Dear Ian
I am sorry to hear that you are suffering from non-alcoholic fatty liver disease or NAFLD which can be a difficult condition to manage. Because the liver is one of the most important organs in the body, I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will assist you to reduce your dietary fat intake as much as possible, while still providing the essential fatty acids that we require for good health. In the meanwhile, click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'General" and read the article "Diet and gallbladder disease' for tips on what you can eat. The combination of the liver detox medication and the low-fat diet plus a moderate intake of clean water (4 cups per day) should help for this condition. Discuss the use of vitamin B complex supplements with your doctor.

Posted by: Ian | 2009-08-19

Thanks for the response doc.
however, there is no " diet"  tab at the top of this page and so cannot go to the article " Diet and gallbladder disease'  .
please review.

Reply to Ian