Question
Posted by: Strath | 2010/02/17

non-alcoholic beer

I' m trying to lose weight and have stopped drinking anything with alcohol. I quite enjoy two of the (very few!) non-alcoholic beers available here (Beck' s and Bavaria) but don' t list the nutritional values on the bottles. When I ran an internet search on Beck' s it said it has 60 calories per bottle. Is this high or low? And what is your general take on these " beers" ?

Dear Strath
If this value of 60 kcal per bottle is correct, then the energy value is lower than in standard beer. Check the volume of the bottle and work out the energy value per 100 ml to compare it with the values listed in the SA Food Tables: beer, alcohol-free = 16 kcal per 100 ml and standard beer = 41 kcal per 100 ml. Let's say the bottle of Beck's is 7 fluid oz, then it would contain approx. 200 ml, thus 100 ml would contain the following energy: 100/200 x 60 = 30 kcal per 100 ml which is lower than the value listed for standard beer, but higher than the SA Food Table value listed for alcohol-free beer. Always keep in mind that even if beer contains no alcohol (7 kcal per gram), it will still contain some carbohydrates (4 kcal per gram). I think that these non-alcoholic beers are a good idea for people who need to avoid alcohol. For slimming purposes they are not as useful as most people think.

1

Dear Strath