Question
Posted by: Normz | 2012/05/06

Noisy foreign churches from early mornings til late afternoons, whole day everyday

Hi we live in Observatory Cape Town. we have an extra section behind our house which is a field. Then there are churches which I''m sure is not registered as churches to the council.
Early in the morning from 8am to late at night are these churches with their loud music and singing one note for an hour. these churches run from Sunday to Sunday without stop. Its a disturbance for people around it. We''ve contacted law enforcement but they never really do anything about it. When we go and complain about it to the church, by being spiteful they turn everything else louder, and some of the neighbors have reported that it might be a front also.
What can we do to stop this?...

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

You need to make a formal application to City of Cape Town Law Enforcement to have this investigated (the number I was given: 021 596 1999). I'm pretty sure what you describe is not legal. A house of worship like a church needs specific permit to be established, and even then, can only make noise at specific times, not constantly. You might need to be persistent to get follow-through and make sure this does actually get dealt with. I would recommend getting as many of your neighbours involved as possible: perhaps draw up a statement and get everyone to sign it.

It might also be worth contacting CCT's Environmental Health dept.

2
Posted by: Abank | 2012/07/11

If universal helath care was such a great thing and so economically compelling, itâ € ™ s hard to see why so many states would be having such a hard time making it work. States will never be able to make it work on their own, when so many competitor states like Texas don''t give a damn how many of their residents go without helath insurance. The wise thing to do would be waiting for the inevitable federal universal helath care plan. Beyond that, the states are almost all ridiculously stupid in their plans to finance universal helath care plans, expecting to finance them almost universally with the perpetually diminishing returns of regressive tobacco taxes. Universal helath care has a basic and fatal flaw, you canâ € ™ t simultaneously reduce the cost of a service and increase access to it. False. Americans spend a higher percentage of our income on helath care than any other nation .including countries that provide universal access. Universal helath care is a bit like a perpetual motion machineâ € ” it would be wonderful in theory, but it canâ € ™ t actually exist in reality. Except, of course, for the 90+% of the industrialized world that does have universal helath care. Those would be the everybody-but-Americans. What inevitably ends up happening is that governments cut costs firstâ € ” which requires them to cut off access. This is how Britainâ € ™ s NHS and the Canadian system work. That scare tactic would be much more effective if Canada''s helath care system didn''t have a citizen approval rating pushing 80%. when confronted with the fact that thereâ € ™ s no such thing as â € œ freeâ €   helath care most people balk at the price. Well, most rich people do at least. You know, the guys who already have acceptable helath care plans but monopolize influence on the body politic. itâ € ™ s not surprising that the theoretical support for universal coverage ends up losing to the desire not to lose what people already have. You''re ultimately correct that in our monstrously self-serving culture, we''re probably not quite there yet when it comes to the political muscle necessary to successfully advance a universal helath care plan. But with soaring premiums, fewer employers offering worthwhile plans, and more people qualifying for existing government helath care programs, it''s only a matter of time before the existing helath care system flames out and government-provided helath care wins the day by default. If even California legislators can learn that principle, hopefully Congress can as well. You really are lost in 1994, aren''t you?

Reply to Abank
Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2012/05/07

Reply to EnviroHealth Expert