Question
Posted by: N | 2010-03-29

Noise when feeding

Last week of February, I took my 4 month old baby to the doctor -peads, who makes noise only when she feeds (breastfeeding). The doctor prescribed: Illiadin for 5 days three times a day &  Betnesol 14 days twice a day.

The sound is still there when the baby breastfeeds and its bothering me. I took my baby to a physio for suction, not much came out &  it was whitish in colour. The pysio said if there was an infection the stuff would probably be green or yellowish. Is it possible that breastfeeding lying down could have caused this of which I no longer do? Hyperthatically speaking if the noise from my babies nose is due to the fact that some milk was getting into her nose because of her fact that she was lying down when feeding. What can I do to clear her up? What are the consequencies or short term &  long term, effects if this does not clear. Someone said aircon can result in blocked nose in babies, is it true?

A month later, I took my baby to an ENT specialist. He inserted a camera to check my baby, he said everything is fine and prescribed flo-baby spray incase later congested, my baby still makes noise when breastfeeding.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear N

Your baby has had a thorough investigation of the upper airways. If all is clear, you should not worry, as the noise is possibly caused by a blocked nose when feeding. The airconditioning may be affecting her nose, as may other environmental factors. If she is feeding well and gaining weight, this is no need for concern. Breastmilk is not harmful to the nasal cavity, so even if some got to the nose, it is not of any concern.
The nasal cavity may block because of swelling of the nasal turbinates (inside of the nose). As she gets bigger, the nasal cavity will also enlarge, in turn clearing the problem.